Gift Ideas for a Saltwater Aquarium Keeper
Buying a gift for someone who keeps a saltwater tank can be a nightmare. Invariably, they already have everything they need, and anything else seems superfluous and overly expensive. I know this, because I have a long-suffering wife who makes it known. In an attempt to ease the suffering of all saltwater enthusiast’s spouses, partners, siblings and other unfortunates, I have compiled a list of some of the cool stuff that we reefers talk about, but often do not buy for ourselves. I hope that these gift ideas for a saltwater aquarium will ease your burden, and make your hobbyist very happy!
The trick is to find out what the hobbyist in your life already has, and see if anything below would make them excited. Some are extremely helpful, and others are very useful. I have tried to steer away from gimmicks. With budget in mind, the following ideas do not exceed $58.99!
FL!PPER DeepSee Aquarium Magnifier 4”
The FL!PPER DeepSee Aquarium Magnifier is perfect for the aquarist who cannot help stopping and gazing deeply into their aquarium every time they walk past it. The magnifier is magnetised with the magnifying glass on the outside of the aquarium, and it can be moved to any part of the front panel. This helps us look at the tiniest things, like coral polyps, close up of fish, amphipods and more. It really is a fantastic gift idea for a saltwater aquarium.
Be sure to consider the Flipper DeapSee Max Orange Filter (below)
- FISH TANK MAGNIFYING GLASS: The Flipper DeepSee magnetic magnifying glass features an optical grade magnifying lens that shows off your tank - the perfect aquarium accessories for fish photography.
- MAGNETIC MOUNT: The aquarium magnifying glass lens attaches on the outside of the fish tank and is magnetically mounted through the walls of the aquarium by strong rare earth magnets.
- EASY TO MOVE: The small magnifying glass easily moves around the tank for viewing from any location. The magnetic magnifying glass is great at checking for signs of fish disease or unwanted pests!
FL!PPER DeepSee Max Orange Filter 4”
The FL!PPER DeepSee Max Orange Filter 4” is a lens that attaches to the magnifier. Its purpose is to see corals in a saltwater aquarium in their true colour. Marine tanks are often lit by the blue light spectrum. When viewing by eye or through a camera lens the true colour of corals can become distorted. The orange filter lens blocks out the blue spectrum making it possible to appreciate the true colours. It also makes it possible to take amazing true-to-colour photos. When purchasing the orange filter, make sure that the sizes match.
Be sure to consider the FL!PPER DeapSee Viewer Spotlight (below)
- ORANGE PHOTOGRAPHY FILTER: Attach this orange filter lens to your Flipper DeepSee magnetic magnifying glass for crystal clear and bright coral and fish photography.
- MAKE CORAL POP: The aquarium magnifying glass lens filter attaches to the DeepSee filter for magnification with color optimization. Filtering out blue light makes your coral colors pop!
- EASY TO ATTACH: The simple lens filter design clips easily on to your magnetic magnifying glass for a different perspective on your aquarium. DeepSee Fish Tank Magnifier sold separately.
FL!PPER DeepSee Viewer Spotlight
In addition to the orange filter, FL!PPER has also included an added extra, a light to be used at night when the lights go off. This little attachment allows a reefer to gaze upon the night activities, through the magnifier, in their aquarium without disturbing the inhabitants. It makes one of the unique gift ideas for a saltwater aquarium.
- FL!PPER's DEEPSEE Spotlight easily attaches to any DeepSee Magnified Viewer and has a precisely focused torch-like beam ideal for spying on all your nocturnal creatures! Rechargeable LED SpotLights for Use with ALL FL!PPER DeepSee MAGNIFIED Viewers (Nano, Standard, and MAX)
- GREAT FOR VIEWING NOCTURNAL CREATURES and SPOTTING UNWANTED PESTS! See your tank like never before with fish-friendly torch-like beams of light through your FL!PPER DeepSee MAGNIFIED Viewer (sold separately)
- PERFECT FOR AQUARIUM PHOTOGRAPHY! Blue and White rechargeable LED Lights that can be used individually or combined for multiple light settings
Orphek Aquarium LED Lighting Extra Wide Coral Lens
The Orphek Aquarium Extra Wide Lens Kit has been made to clip onto a smartphone and take amazing photos It is super smart with a dedicated holding case for the lenses and clip attachment. The kit includes four lenses. You have a 15,000K orange lens, and a 20,000K yellow lens that can be used together or in combination for the ideal natural color look. If you get a lot of glare when taking photos of your tank, they have included an anti-glare lens. The fourth lens is a macro lens that works as a magnifier for close-up shots. All lenses can be used separately or combined. I cannot go without my lens kit for taking amazing photos.
- ORPHEK AQUARIUM LENS ARE THE LATEST AND COOLEST GADGET! DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR PHOTOGRAPHY OF CORALS AND AQUARIUMS!
- (HIGH QUALITY) Orphek Lens Kit are designed with industrial grade aluminium along with premium optic glass lenses to capture shots with amazing clarity and detail. It is important to point out that Orphek is the only company in the market offering lens that are designed specifically for photography of corals and aquariums made of GLASS. This leads to clearer pictures and a longer lasting lens because they are less prone to scratching! Not like other cheap plastic lenses.
- (INTERCHANGEABILITY) You can swap or combine lens for different effects! All 4 lens including the wide angle and macro lens are built in an attachable design – lenses screwed together for enhanced imaging.
Kraken Reef UV Coral Viewing Glasses
A pair of Kraken Reef UV Viewing Glasses are the ideal gift for a saltwater aquarium enthusiast. They are an orange filtered pair of glasses that when worn immediately cut out the blue light from the saltwater tank. They enable you to see the tank in all its natural colored splendour. Not only that, you can pass them around to guests so they can also appreciate the corals, they truly are one of the best gift ideas for saltwater aquarium family and friends too. These are profession-grade glasses with UV 400 orange lenses. They provide 100% UVA and UVB protection, should you decide to wear them out too!
- Perfect for aquarium viewing and photography on the fly! Take amazing coral reef tank photos! Kraken Reef UV Coral Viewing Glasses allow for easy viewing and photography of any coral reef tank.
- Profession grade glasses: UV 400 orange lenses provide 100% UVA and UVB protection.
- Show off your corals with Kraken Reef! Allowing your guest to see your beautiful corals in your aquarium has never been this easy! Our orange coral lenses bring your tank to life by producing colors that POP! Check out the before and after photos!
FL!PPER 8” Aquarium Top Down Viewer
The FL!PPER Aquarium Top Down Viewer is the perfect gift for a reefer who likes to look at, or take photos of, their corals from above. This is used by placing it on the surface of the water then looking through the included orange filter, or from above. The flat viewing pane on the water surface makes for fantastic viewing and photography without the distortion of surface water movement. The viewer is about the same size as your outstretched hand, wrist to fingertips.
- Experience an unparalleled view of your Fish Aquarium Tank with the innovative Flipper Top Down Viewer. This top-down viewer allows you to observe your aquatic environment, including your vibrant corals and beautiful fish, like never before. Give yourself the opportunity to closely observe and appreciate the underwater world from a new perspective.
- Our Top Down Viewer includes a unique floating square design featuring an 8" ultra-clear acrylic viewing panel. This innovative design incorporates a removable orange filter, enhancing the clarity of your observation experience. Enjoy a crystal clear view like never before as you gaze through the pristine viewing panel, taking in the intricate details of your aquatic world.
- Ideal for examining a variety of freshwater and saltwater creatures including coral, shrimp, and other captivating marine life, the Flipper Top Down Viewer is perfect for enhancing your tank photography. The package includes an orange filter which, when applied, ensures a clear and color corrected view, allowing you to capture stunning images of your aquatic inhabitants with remarkable clarity.
Seaside Aquatics Look Down Box
The Seaside Aquatics Look Down Box is also a top down viewer. It is slightly smaller at 6” than the Flipper version, and is circular. The clear bottom allows for the perfect photos without surface water distortion.
Blink Mini Camera
Although not strictly speaking an aquatic item, I find this perfect when I am away from home. You simply plug it in and download the app. It allows you to see the aquarium on a smartphone app in real-time. The clarity is amazing, and you can even use night vision when the lights are off. This is perfect when away on holiday, or even if you want to have a camera on your tank at all times. This is one of those excellent gift ideas for saltwater aquariums tech savvy owners!
- Monitor the inside of your home day and night with our 1080P HD indoor plug-in smart security camera with motion detection and two-way audio.
- See, hear, and speak to people and pets in your home from your smartphone with Blink Mini’s live view and two-way audio.
- Get alerts on your smartphone whenever motion is detected or customize motion detection zones so you can see what matters most.
Innovative Marine Accudrip Acclimator
An extremely practical addition to any reefers arsenal. The Innovative Marine Accudrip Acclimator takes the guesswork out of acclimating new fish and invertebrates. No more using knots in airlines. This acclimator provides an accurate drip rate for safe introduction of inhabitants. This is well worth the money, and if they do not already have one, they will be very happy to receive one.
- Customize acclimation rates for any new additional into your aquarium
- DRIP RATE SUGGESTED GUIDELINE
- 1-2 Drips per second - for snails, shrimps, crabs, starfish, anemones
Innovative Marine Gourmet Grazer
The Innovative Marine Gourmet Grazer is a feeder aimed at the reefer who keeps herbivorous fish. If they have mentioned feeding nori, then this is ideal. Often, hobbyists use suction cup feeders to feed nori, which means they get their hands wet every time they reach for it in the tank. With the Gourmet Grazer, the strong magnet holds it in place. It can be removed from the tank just by sliding the Grazer up with the magnet. No more sticking hand in the tank!
For more info on the Gourmet Grazer read this article.
- For Fresh and Saltwater Fish (Herbivores and Carnivores) | Reduces Waste and Maintains Water Quality
- Feed Multiple Fish Simultaneously | Can be placed Vertically or Horizontally
- Low Profile | Magnet-Mounted for easy removal of un-eaten food
Innovative Marine Gourmet Gadget Defroster
The Innovative Marine Gourmet Gadget Defroster is a great piece of kit for those reefers like me who feed their fish defrosted cubes of mysis, krill and brine. The problem with frozen fish food is that you cannot simply throw it into the tank. In its ice form it floats, all the way to the weir grate, and then is sucked down into the sump. This is a great solution, in that you chuck your frozen cubes into the defroster. It keeps the cubes within the cylinder, and as it defrosts, they enter the aquarium through holes in the bottom of the defroster where the fish are waiting. No more waste!
- For Fresh and Saltwater Fish | For Frozen, Pellet, Flake or Freeze Dried Food
- Adjustable Release Settings | Turn Top and Bottom Cups to Adjust Rate Frozen Food Dispurses from Cup | Aim Waterflow at Feeder to Dispurse Food Even Faster
- Reduces Waste and Maintains Water Quality
Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance system
After years of struggling with water changes, this is a lifesaver! No more buckets of water, spillages and mess every time I need to swap water out. The Python No Spill kit is amazing. This kit is as much for the hobbyist as it is for anyone living with them.
How it works is, you attach it with the included brass adapter to your faucet (or an optional universal adaptor). Then you run the water. The force of the water coming out of your faucet draws the water out of the aquarium. The aquarium water is flushed away with the water from the faucet, down the drain. To fill the aquarium you can add a threaded fitting to a utility pump. Place the pump in a bucket of premixed, preheated water, and fill the aquarium back up. Brilliant.
The good news is that each component of the kit is sold separately, so if you need to adapt the kit to suit your water changing, it’s entirely doable.
- Easy To Use: Hassle free! No buckets, no siphons, no mess, no tank tear downs ever again! Every aquarium owner has felt the utter frustration of lugging a heavy, water filled bucket to your aquarium and spilling it on the floor. But those days are gone! Let the Python put the effort in and do all of that heavy lifting for you!
- Master Routine Maintenance: Regular water changes and a maintenance routine help to keep our favourite aquatic pets happy and healthy, and should be done regularly! But all aquarium owners know that maintenance and water changes can be hard to keep up with, especially with a busy schedule. The Python system eliminates the dread and frustrations associated with water changes and allows you to complete the task in mere minutes, not hours! Spend more time looking at your tank, not cleaning it!
- Everything You Need: The complete ready-to-use system comes equipped with a hose, gravel tube, switch, hose connectors, faucet pump, and brass faucet adapter so you can get started on maintenance right away. The system quickly and easily attaches to most faucet styles and can be fully installed and ready to go in less than 5 minutes!
AquaticHI Aquarium Tongs
Tongs, AquaticHI Aquarium Tongs to be specific, are something I use on almost a daily basis. With the aid of tongs, a reefer very rarely need to put their hands in the tank. They can help to retrieve things on the sand bed (like frag plugs the urchin has moved), or turning those stupid snails over, again. They are completely reef safe and highly recommended. This is one of those I-ain’t-getting-my-hands-wet-no-longer gift ideas for saltwater aquariums.
- ⭐️ LONG 27 INCH aquarium tongs for deep tanks and hard to reach places
- ⭐️ KEEP HANDS DRY and KEEP YOUR TANK SAFE: Fish and coral are very sensitive to human natural oils and direct contact with them.
- ⭐️ PERFECT FOR SPOT FEEDING corals, bottom dwelling fish and dangerous fish like eels and lionfish
FL!PPER Cleaner Float
The FL!PPER glass scraper is one of two top rated glass cleaners. The other is the Tunze Care Magnet (below). This is no knock-off scraper, it is the real deal, and is fantastic at its job. If the reefer in your life is struggling with a sub-standard scraper, or even worse, a Mag-Float type glass cleaner meant for tropical tanks, then they will be delighted to have a scraper that will make life so much easier. All blades are replaceable with new Flipper blades.
For more info on the Tunze Care Magnet and the FL!PPER Scraper read this article.
- SCRUB, SCRAPE, FLIP &FLOAT: Clean fresh or salt water tanks with the patented dual sided magnetic aquarium glass cleaner that flips from scrubber to scraper without you reaching into the tank.
- MAJOR TIME SAVER: The 2-In-1 Magnetic Aquarium Fish Tank Cleaner halves the time for daily cleaning. Ideal aquarium accessories for use on glass tanks up to 12mm (1/2") thickness / 30-150 gallons
- These aquarium cleaning tools clean even the most stubborn Coraline. The Flipper fish tank cleaner is made with rare earth magnets for incredible cleaning strength.
Tunze Care Magnet
The Tunze Care Magnet is another top class scraper. I have had mine for almost ten years. Like the Flipper, the Tunze is a top class scraper that does a fantastic job. It also has replaceable blades, both plastic and stainless steel. I couldn’t do without mine.
For more info on the Tunze Care Magnet and the Flipper Scraper read this article.
FL!PPER Platinum Hand Scraper Tool
There is nothing worse trying to reach hard to get algae without submerging your entire arm, with towel on hand. Well, the FL!PPER Platinum Scraper Tool makes that a thing of the past. You can purchase them in various lengths, but I would recommend the 28” version. It is super sturdy and comes with a replaceable FL!PPER ‘plastic blade’. However, in their wisdom, they have designed the scraper to accept any old credit card, gift card or even hotel room card. This really is one of those gift ideas for saltwater aquariums that keeps on giving.
- PRO GRADE CLEANING: Platinum aquarium glass cleaners are available in 4 sizes. Each of our fish tank algae scrapers ensure efficient algae cleaning across a range of fish and turtle tanks. Choose from our 10”, 12” Nano, 18” or 28” professional grade aquarium cleaning tools for saltwater and freshwater aquarists.
- NON-SCRATCH BLADE: The Platinum fish tank cleaner is supplied with 1 official Flipper aquarium glass scraper blade with a serrated edge that won’t scratch your glass or acrylic fish tank.
- NO REPLACEMENT BLADES REQUIRED: Flipper Platinum's unique design is the only aquarium scraper that uses any old credit card, hotel room key, etc that can be inserted in any direction for multiple levels of flexibility, making it the most versatile aquarium cleaner available.
FL!PPER Aquarium Mat Artwork
I did say in the beginning of this article that all gift ideas will be helpful and useful, but I had to throw this in too. This unique floor mat was produced for FL!PPER by an artist called Sharon Cummings, and would fitting on the floor in front of any saltwater aquarium!
- Luxurious Aquarium Mat - This premium FL!PPER aquarium mat is designed to protect the area beneath your expensive aquarium while cleaning. It’s made of high-quality material, which is waterproof and durable. It also acts as a great under aquarium mat, reducing noise and preventing any unwanted movement.
- Multi-Purpose Mat - Not only can this mat be used for your aquarium, but it also serves as an excellent door mat outdoor entrance, front door mat, or even a desktop mat. Its stylish design, crafted by a professional artist, adds a touch of elegance to any space.
- Waterproof and Anti-Slip - The high-quality material of the mat is waterproof, making it perfect for use with your fish tank. The anti-slip feature ensures your aquarium or other items stay securely in place. Size: 17.7 x 29.5 inch and .2 inch thick (45cm x 75cm x 5mm thick)
I hope you have found this article of gift ideas informative, that it has made your life easier, and that you were able to find something that would bring a smile to your saltwater aquarist’s face. Just have to show my wife now!
Hi, my name is Craig.
I am the owner of The Salty Side.
Firstly, thank you for visiting us. If you have found this article to be informative, and you now have a better understanding of the topic, then my job is done.
If you are feeling charitable, and feel I deserve a little thank you, I thank you in advance for any support given.